Thursday, November 8, 2018

Color-Blocked Hooded Raglan

Let's start off by saying, "who isn't a fan for P4P? Patterns for Pirates has an amazing array of beautiful, versatile and easy patterns to stitch up. My favorite three has been the Women's Henley (minus the placket and a little length added) The Grandpa Cardigan and last but not least the Raglan. Today I will talk to you about the Raglan and how I managed to color-block it and it still come out wearable.


When I attempted the whole color-blocking I decided I would take the smallest person in the house and make one for them. That happened to be my daughter who's currently a size 8/10 in shirts. Not much fabric and if it didn't come out right, I could always turn it into something else. It came out OK(ish) It wasn't the best, but it was still wearable. She wore it to school with pride and of course that made me happy. I later found some actual measurements on where to cut and align the fabric from this blog, right here. The measurements were spot on. In the tutorial it tells you that if you need to you can make your own measurements. Since I was so new to this, I decided to go with what the tutorial said.

Let me just say this process is so tedious. You have to take your half pieces of patterns and trace them over to make them whole pieces, once you have done that with the front and back pieces you have to then dissect them into three smaller pieces. You have to make a left and a right arm so that the colors match up. Did I mention I hate cutting and taping? Those are my least favorite things to do. You also have to add about a half an inch on to each cut piece so that the finished garment isn't too short. Tedious. When you're done you'll have 9 total pieces to piece together. I made the back solid. I can say that once I've made it, I really don't have to make it again. Unless I'm really bored or just have time on my hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment