Thursday, November 8, 2018

SPIRIT WEEK AND GRADES



WHAT CHILD DOESN'T LOVE SPIRIT WEEK?
HECK, I EVEN LOOK FORWARD TO IT MYSELF!

Last year around this time was Spirit Week (SW) from here on out. My children's school starts their's off with pajama day. For starters since they're growing so much all of their pajamas are mix matched. A few weeks before this time though I was gifted a Cricut and had already owned a Sizzix Big Shot and a Self Healing cutting mat with rotary cutter. I was so excited to make their shirts for Nerd day.


Day three, four and five I can't remember what they are. As i stated in the paragraph above SW has rolled around again. Not only do I have all those wonderful gadgets I also have a sewing machine and a Serger that I am scared to death of. I have been sewing since June of this year. I have so many ideas I can't wait to put them into action.

This year my daughter who was in Pre-K last year now attends the same school as the boys. (anyone with multiple aged children knows what a blessing it is to have them all in the same place) I am so excited for SW that I can hardly wait to get off work and finish up their things.

Here's the "DILEMMA": My well behaved 6th grader brought home his progress report and there were two N's on there. You're probably wondering what does the N stand for. Well in this day and age N stands for F. I'm not sure why they took the F away and replaced it with an N or an I, but it isn't there anymore. I asked him why he had an N and reached out to those teachers who gave him the N. They told me what I already knew to be true.

My child is a great respectable student, he's smart and intelligent  and TALKS AND PLAYS entirely too much. My child loves to read as much as I do. My happy place is the library or sitting in the tub with my Kindle Fire. He is definitely cut from the same cloth as I am. He's the typical 6th grader with a little bit of extra umph in him. I expect a lot. To whom much is given, much is expected. He's my first born and if his grades are up to par and he can keep his room clean WITHOUT me having to continuously tell him, he can then have whatever he wants.

Progress reports came out a few weeks ago. Yesterday was report card pick up day for all three of my children. My Kindergartener had the best report card. Next up was my 3rd grader. My 6th grader still has those N's that has now turned into I's. I's=Incompletes. I gave him yet another talk. I asked him if he thought I should let him participate in SW, he answered honestly and said NO. I wasn't surprised, because like I said he's a good kid.

I asked him why he failed the same two classes yet again. He stated that in math, he wants to hurry up and finish so that he can read his book. I'm not sure how good of an idea it was for me to tell him that he couldn't take any more books to school with him or that he couldn't borrow any from his teacher until he got his grades up. We talked some more I also asked him why he'd failed in Science also. He stated that the teacher was boring all she did was talk. He wanted her to just give him the work and not talk so much.

I asked him if he wanted to go to college. He stated yes. I told him he had better get used to the boring Science teacher talking because at least she cares. As adult/17/18 year old teenager... you're not going to get many professors who care.

I want to let him participate in SW, however, I also want him to understand that his actions today can wand will effect his future tomorrow.

What's a mama to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment